Easy Oaky & Smoky Babyback Ribs
This is a great recipe for flavorful, tender, moist, succulent ribs for when you don’t have a lot of time to spend in front of the BBQ. The wine or beer guarantees your ribs will come out fall-off-the-bone every time.
- California Rancher Oaky & Smoky Rub
- California Rancher BBQ sauce
- 3 full racks of babyback pork ribs
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
- 2-3 cups of dry red or white wine or beer
- Kosher/Sea salt flakes
Pat ribs dry and (secret trick) carefully slit the membrane the length of each rib bone on the underside of the rack. This will enable the ribs to easy pull apart after cooking. If you have more time, you can carefully remove the entire membrane.
Cut each rack in half for a total of 6 sections.
Sprinkle with Kosher salt and rub liberally with Oaky & Smoky on the top and bottom of the racks and place in a rimmed baking sheet in 2 stacks of ribs 3 high. Cover in plastic and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or overnight ideally. Pull ribs out of refrigerator 30-45 minutes before cooking to come to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 110C / 230F. Add chopped garlic and wine to baking sheet with ribs, then cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place in preheated oven and cook for 2-3 hours, rotating the racks every 45 minutes (top rack goes to bottom, middle goes to top, etc. It is critical to reseal the foil after every rotation to keep the moisture inside.
After the ribs are cooked through, remove from oven and take off foil (be careful of the steam). Be careful when handling ribs as they are probably so tender they can come apart. Should this occur, the chef must immediately consume loose rib. Either move ribs to clean plate or baking sheet, or carefully pour out cooking liquid. Let cool to firm up meat.
Preheat BBQ or grill to medium. Ensure grilling surface is clean and lightly oiled after heating. Put liberal amount of California Rancher BBQ sauce in a bowl and have a basting brush handy.
Carefully mark the cooked ribs on the BBQ starting with the meat side down, 1-2 minutes. Turn to bone-side-down and brush meat with California Rancher BBQ sauce. Turn again and mark sauced side for 1-2 minutes using caution to not burn the sauced sides. Repeat to personal preference of darkness and amount of sauce. Remove from grill and serve with a side California Rancher BBQ sauce in a ramekin for each BBQ lover.
Bow to applause
- Apply Oaky & Smoky rub immediately before oven
- For oven roasting, increase temperature to 325 degrees F and shorten cooking time to 70 minutes, rotating ribs every 20-30 minutes
- Oven-roast the ribs the day before and finish them on the BBQ the next day in minutes
- Finish ribs with BBQ sauce in oven broiler
- Substitute pork spareribs or beef ribs
- Try California Rancher Rump Rub